Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Greenhouse question
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Greenhouse question
Greenhouse question 1 Year, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
Does anyone grow year round in a greenhouse around here? If you do, I was hoping you would share things like what kind of glazing do you have, how do you heat it and how economical has it been for your to heat.

We've never,ever,had a greenhouse. Yet, my husband and I want to purchase one in the next few months for next years garden, So we are completely new at this.

Thanks so much! Lorri D
Lorri D
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Greenhouse question 1 Year, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
Just an update: We bought a Rion hobby gardener greenhouse. 8.5' x 12.5', with dual double doors. We should have it in a week. We are very excited. Lorri D
Lorri D
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Greenhouse question 1 Year, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
I just joined to learn more about growing flowers in the Rogue Valley. I have a 10'x 20' greenhouse and several flower beds where I am learning how to grow a variety of annuals, perennials, and herbs for fresh-cut bouquets. I had my first greenhouse disaster last night. I just transferred several trays of seedlings from the prop room to the greenhouse the day before yesterday. I guess the heater I set up in the greenhouse did not prevent the temperature from dropping down to freezing because many of the seedlings turned brown and wilted. I am having difficulty keeping the greenhouse and prop room temperatures consistent. Nights are freezing and sunny daytime temperatures make the greenhouse really hot. Any insights out there?
rnowak
graphgraph

yep, I've got a heater that blows hot air on from around 9 at night till 6 in the morning. It keeps my greenhouse from 50 to 60 degrees through the night. I have to start opening up everything between 10 and 12 on most days. I've even had to get a fan in there and used it for a couple days, back when we had sunnier weather. I have a wireless thermometer set up in my house so I can glance at the temp out in the greenhouse whenever I want. I've got to get my little mini greenhouse put together to start hardening off some of the plants I'm about to set out under row covers this weekend.

People suggest to get as much water in there as possible to help hold the temperature naturally and to use rocks as the flooring. They even recommend getting 50 gal barrels in there. The water is supposed to warm up during the day and release at night, keeping the temperatures more stable. You can can put some boards across the water for plants or trays etc... to get some of the room back that it takes up.

I had planned on filling old milk containers and lining the inside perimeter with them, but I just haven't done it yet. I've seen my electic bill since using my heater and it really hasn't affected it, so I think I'm satisfied to continue as I am right now.

I'd love to hear what other people have to say or suggest : )
Lorri D
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2013/03/21 21:43 By Lorri D.

I've heard that about water containers, too, and have a Rubbermaid storage bin filled up and a 10-gallon bucket. I don't think they're doing much, though. What kind of heater do you have? Also, my greenhouse got up to 86 degrees today with the exhaust fan going and the door open! I'm actually thinking about putting up a shade cloth to keep it cooler!
rnowak
graphgraph

I'm not sure what brand it is, but it is a basic heater with forced fan heat. I see them everywhere that room heaters are sold, $25.00-$35.00. Walmart, Home Depot..etc... 750 & 1500 watt settings. This one came with my greenhouse and it is exactly like ones I had bought myself for my husband's shop.

I just set it to high and regulate it by when I start and stop it, because I've already had two stop working, because the thermostat burns out with starting and stopping too much through the night.

I think a fan could help you for now, I have a medium size fan in there and it can really drop the temp. I also think I will need to get a shade cloth later this year.

My cordless thermometer has save my seedlings many times. I have had the temp out there go from 75 to 101 in less than 8 minutes. The sun broke out of some clouds and it was like a dutch oven in there. I am lucky mine came with a dual, double door option and I have two roof vents. I think I wish all of the roof windows were vents, because like you, mine warms up fast.

I have seen that there are lots of models have automatic window openers. They open up when the temperature is 95, so you don't have to be there to do it. Maybe, you can find some for your model. I think the levers are pretty universal to most greenhouses.

I read somewhere that 1 gallon of water will hold the immediate temperature for about 1 hr. Meaning that if you have a gallon of water and the temperature is 60 and dropping, it will hold the temperature around the water at 60 degrees for another hr. Sounds like an awful lot of water to me, but could be worth a shot to try it. You can search the net for BTU break downs and conversions, etc...

I just saw my first fungus gnat, so that isn't fun to deal with. I use soil blocks and it is hard to get rid of them when using soil blocks.

Lorri D
Lorri D
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Greenhouse question 1 Year, 3 Months ago Karma: 1
If you just came to this topic on greenhouses and are thinking about building/buying one, this article might help with some ideas of what to consider: Planning and Building a Greenhouse
The Backyarder
Admin
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2013/07/14 19:23 By The Backyarder.

Go to topPage: 1